It was another exciting day today, although it may not come through in this sparse post. I'll summarize our adventures in checklist form:
1) Get up and make it to Penn Station in Baltimore... Check
2) Take a short Amtrak trip to DC... Check
3) Acquire lunch and Metro tickets... Check and check
4) Take Metro to proper stop on way to hotel... Not so much
5) Walk through sketchy neighborhood with luggage and 'fish out of water' appearances... Big check
6) Receive a "Boy, what are you doin' here?" look... For the first time in my life, yes
7) Locate the correct Metro stop the 2nd time... Sort of
8) Walk through entirely new but equally sketchy neighborhood... You bet
9) Spend a whole lot of time dragging suitcases around parts of DC that weren't on our list to visit (nor anyone else's) in the midday heat... Affirmative
10) Eventually reach hotel... Thankfully
11) Recoup and hit the Smithsonian... Yes (Art for EW; Natural History for BB)
12) Have a tasty dinner... Yep
13) Somehow lose the 'fish out of water' look enough to get asked for directions... Don't know how, but yes
14) Make it back to our room by 8:00 and feel like winners... Check
15) Lazily tell blog readers to Google their own dang photos of the National Mall, Washington Monument, U.S. Capitol, and Smithsonian Institute... In progress
16) Call it a night and get ready for a 2nd day in DC... Check
Monday, July 28, 2008
Day 5 - Washington, D.C.
Posted by
Ben
at
7:16 PM
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

5 comments:
Just got caught up on all the
happenings. Are you sure the purpose of this trip is really baseball? Ed- FYI- I just gave this address to your Grandmother- you may be hearing shortly. Also, your cousin Sarah got engaged over the weekend.- Aunt Becky
6) First time, huh? Even after all those crazy afternoons in the 'hood around Wav-town? I'm shocked.
I'm shocked too, MJ. I give him that look all the time.
I wonder what your opinions are of riding the rails after 5 days. Has it been better than driving?
At the risk of getting knifed, I still probably would have used the Vacation line:
Ben: "Hey, excuse me holmes? Haha, what it is, bro? We're from out of town."
Holmes: "No sh*t."
Keep up the good bloggin!
MJ: Yeah, I know. Shocking.
Tim: S'pose the rails have had their ups and downs. The Chi-Phi trip stunk because it was very long and plenty late. However the metro in DC is super easy and convenient. Also, the thought of hopping on Amtrak tomorrow and getting picked up at the station in Boston is much, much more appealing than driving the 8+ hours ourselves through big cities and traffic.
Matt: LOL. Nice reference. Thankfully, there was never any serious threat of knifings.
And hi, Aunt Becky. :)
Post a Comment